Inpatient Coder II
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: February 9, 2024
The Inpatient Coder II is the second level coding position in a
3-tier career ladder. Inpatient Coder IIs will evaluate inpatient
medical records and accurately assign the appropriate ICD-10 CM/PCS
codes, Present on Admission (POA) indicators, and relevant DRGs.
The Coder II must be skillful in the identification and assignment
of all diagnoses and procedures in accordance with nationally
recognized coding guidelines, as well as researching opportunities
to improve documentation.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assigns appropriately sequenced and compliant ICD-10 CM/PCS
codes as documented in the electronic medical record (EMR).
- Applies definition of principal diagnosis for proper assignment
of MS-DRGs, APR-DRGs, and POA indicators using a designated
encoder/grouper, while ensuring compliance with nationally
established coding guidelines.
- Utilizes selected encoder and/or computer-assisted coding
software (CAC) set forth by client and Accuity.
- Abstracts pertinent data from documentation in accordance with
client, state, and federal reporting requirements.
- Identifies instances in which provider clarification is
necessary to ensure quality, completeness of documentation, and
optimal, compliant reimbursement and communicates to appropriate
- Updates and/or recommends coding changes as necessary due to
additions or revisions in physician documentation and Internal
Controls and Quality.
- Maintains required standards of performance in both coding
accuracy and productivity to meet client turnaround and
- Records accurate production logs, time keeping, and other
relevant tracking information daily.
- Performs additional job-related duties as assigned from coding
management within pre-determined schedule.
- Stays current with most recent coding changes and guidance from
CMS, AHA Coding Clinics, AHIMA, Official Inpatient Coding
Guidelines, as well as internal education from Physicians, CDI and
- Completes required Continuing Education hours to maintain
- Participate in Coding department meetings and other events as
- Maintains a collegial working relationship with other
- Accepts coaching, training, and education on a routine basis as
- Minimum HS Diploma or GED required
- Coding credential required from AHIMA (RHIA, RHIT, CCS) or AAPC
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in HIM or coding
- Minimum 5 years of current Inpatient facility coding
experience; minimum 2 years Level 2 trauma center and/or 2 years
academic teaching medical center
- Extensive knowledge of ICD-10 guidelines and coding
- Demonstrated knowledge in DRG methodologies and compliant
reimbursement practicesKnowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in utilizing a variety of EMR systems, EPIC
- Independently research coding questions and utilize Accuity's
internal educational resources
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment, including MS
Word, MS Excel, MS Teams
- Autonomous, focused individual able to work remotely or on-site
in a rapidly growing organization
Keywords: Accuity, Los Angeles , Inpatient Coder II, Other , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!