Company: JWCH Institute, Inc.
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: September 22, 2023
If you are unable to complete this application due to a
disability, contact this employer to ask for an accommodation or an
alternative application process. Recreation Specialist Full Time
100% Los Angeles, CA, US 4 days ago Requisition ID: 2375 Salary
Range: $52,314.00 To 57,745.00 Annually Position Purpose:The
Recreation Specialist provides oversight and direct service to
women and children residing in Drug Medi-Cal Residential Treatment
Program for Women and Children in South Los Angeles. The Specialist
upholds the JWCH mission to improve the health status and wellbeing
of under-served segments of the population of Los Angeles County.
This position is funded through a Federal Contract with SAMHSA for
Perinatal and Parenting women (PPW) in residential treatment.Duties
- Performs routine care functions as prescribed by established
policies and procedures within defined scope of education, training
- Responsible for adhering to County and Federal contract
- Provide recreational and life enhancement therapeutic
activities to program participants, their children, and
- Create and maintain daily recreational onsite activities for
program participants, and their children.
- Create wellness activity schedule for Perinatal / Pregnant
- Create a monthly calendar of recreational onsite and offsite
- Create a Wellness Care plan for each patient in collaboration
with Nurse and treatment team.
- Conduct groups on the value of exercise and life enhancement
activities while in recovery from alcohol and drugs. -
- Lead daily Mindfulness Walks and Morning Meditation.
- Create an incentive program for daily exercise and other
- Work together with Children's Coordinator to maintain
activities for children living on site and when children visit the
- Oversee recreation activities at Recovery Bridge Housing and
Outpatient Treatment for PPW participants that complete residential
- Establish and maintain community partner's relations for
donations and keep data base of donors.
- Establish relationships with corporation to donate tickets to
- Establish partnerships with community based organizations that
provide relevant social and recreational services to mothers and
- Transport participants to community events to develop social
skills in sobriety.
- Purchase and maintain inventory of sports equipment, card
games, board games, coloring books and other materials.
- Hold arts & crafts groups several times a week for participants
- Coordinate yoga services with UpRising Yoga, maintain record of
services, submit invoices for payment. -
- Meet weekly with Peer Advocates to review recreation activities
they are engaging in for themselves and their children. -
- Co-coordinate Peer Advocates schedule and responsibilities
- Coordinate trips to the park, library and local kid friendly
locations with mother and child.
- Co-Facilitate Celebrating Families and other appropriate
- Assist in organizing 4-6 Family Events a year (onsite or
- Assist in organizing a quarterly Family Resource Fair.
- Prepare for and attend weekly Case Review.
- Create a staff incentive program for increasing exercise and
- Provide weekly and monthly reports on program activities and
- Enforce all COVID-19 safety measures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Position Qualifications
- Will hold a minimum of a BA in Recreation and Leisure
- One-year experience working in the field of social
- Knowledgeable of addiction, generational trauma, mental health
- Knowledge of developing recreational and life enhancement
programs for minority, low income and vulnerable population
including children, adults and families.
- Knowledgeable in all Microsoft Programs .
- Excellent documentation, oral and written communication
- Able to work Holidays and other nontraditional work days and
- Bilingual capabilities in English and Spanish preferred. *All
JWCH, Wesley Health Centers workforce members must be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit
proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for
qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding
process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until
instructed to do so by the hiring department. - Physical Demands:
Position requires prolonged sitting at a computer, some bending,
lifting, stooping and stretching. Good eye-hand coordination and
manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard,
photocopy machine, telephone, and other office equipment is also
required. Employees hired for this position must be able to perform
the essential functions of this job without imposing significant
risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or
Employee Benefits JWCH Institute, Inc., offers competitive salaries
for all positions. Employees working 30 hours per week or more are
provided a monthly allowance which can be used towards medical,
dental, vision, and life insurance premiums. The agency offers sick
leave and vacation accrual, 11 paid holidays, jury duty pay,
mileage reimbursement, employee parking, direct deposit, credit
union, and an employee assistance program. In addition JWCH offers
a 401(k) Profit Sharing plan to employees who work a minimum of
1,000 hours per fiscal year. Wesley Health Centers, JWCH Institute
is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
Keywords: JWCH Institute, Inc., Los Angeles , Recreation Specialist, Other , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!