Company: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: January 28, 2023
Job Summary:The primary focus of this position will be to
coordinate clinical testing and reporting at the Regional Molecular
Genetic Pathology laboratory. In addition, the job requires
extensive data analysis of microarray or other data and preparation
of aberration summaries. Position requires interdependent work with
all staff and Directors at the laboratory, as well as, physician
group. Overall, position involves many aspects of genetic testing,
including sample to data analysis to final report
- Patient laboratory case management of clinical genomic testing
- Answering questions regarding Genetic testing and providing
information on Genetic tests and testing methodologies.
- Participate in laboratory test design and development,
including education of laboratory staff in test reporting/clinical
- Evaluation, annotation, and classification of novel chromosomal
rearrangements and gene variants based on extensive review and
collation of public and private databases.
- Analyzing, interpreting, and reporting data generated by
complex genomic techniques such as next generation sequencing and
- Generating information sheets for the analyzed cases using
relevant clinical information to draft a comprehensive interpretive
report in collaboration with the laboratory directors.
- Supporting the clinical testing service of the tumor profiling
laboratory in working with the team of molecular pathologists,
laboratory directors and genetic counselors.
- Reviewing patient medical history prior to testing, performing
review of genomic data, helping maintain the active knowledgebase
for variant interpretation and reporting.
- Providing follow-up to physicians and/or other clinical
providers regarding test results.
- Performing necessary duties in providing testing assistance and
data analysis in oncology (Tumor genomics).
- Performing data analysis and summary generation on SNP arrays
and next generation sequencing.
- Being able to use a variety of computational databases such as
dbSNP, the UCSC and European genome browsers, COSMIC, etc., to aid
in the interpretation of genomic variants
- Providing Genetic testing support to all departments.
- Other duties as necessary. Basic Qualifications: Experience
- Minimum two (2) years experience in genomic data analysis and
interpretation in clinical context. Education
- MA or MS in Molecular Genetics, Genetic Counseling, or a
related field with experience in genomic data analysis and
interpretation in clinical context. License, Certification,
- N/A Additional Requirements:
- Professional knowledge of the rapidly changing principles and
practice of medical, clinical, and genetics laboratory
- Must have effective oral and written, presentation and
communication skills, superior organizational skills and be able to
- Computer skills appropriate for laboratory and clinical case
- Strong background in Human Genetics and Molecular
- Display excellent writing, communication, problem-solving and
- The position requires knowledge and skills related to
interpreting and reporting data from high complexity genomic
techniques including next generation sequencing and microarrays.
- Prior experience with variant evaluation using online
databases, in-silico variant analysis tools, and interpreting
genetic testing results is preferred.
- Positive attributes include excellent organizational skills, a
strong interest in learning, the ability to multi-task, and an
ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with SNP arrays and next generation sequencing.
(Direct experience with these technologies in a diagnostic setting
- Must be comfortable using a variety of computational databases
such as dbSNP, the UCSC genome browser, COSMIC, etc., to aid in the
interpretation of genomic variants.
- PhD in Molecular Genetics, Genomics, or a related field.
- Rotating weekends as needed.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center, Los Angeles , Genomic Scientist, Other , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!