Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Merchant Lab
Company: Cedars Sinai
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Share Requisition # 20002984B
Cedars-Sinai Cancer is committed to pursuing pioneering research
into disease mechanism, diagnostic innovations and new technologies
and resources. Through our historic achievements, growing research
enterprise, and serving one of the most diverse regions in the
world, our physicians and scientists are uniquely positioned to
guide the next generation of progress against the disease.
Join our team and use your expertise with an organization known
nationally for excellence in cancer research.
The Merchant lab seeks a post-doctoral fellow with an interest
in hematopoiesis, stem cell biology, and/or myeloproliferative
diseases to join an NIH funded project examining the role of
Hedgehog signaling in the bone marrow microenvironment. Studies in
the lab make use of transgenic mouse models and primary patient
samples. There will be additional opportunities to study patient
samples from patients treated with hedgehog inhibitors. Studies of
the bone marrow microenvironment will be enabled but the use of
imaging mass cytometry/CyTOF. Imaging mass cytometry allows for
highly multiplexed (35+ markers) imaging of immune and tumor cells,
with spatial information and subcellular resolution making it the
ideal technology for studying stem cells and immune cells in their
cellular niches within the bone marrow. Imaging mass cytometry can
be applied to all tissue types including cell lines, organoids,
frozen section and FFPE fixed archival tissue.
- Perform experiments with transgenic mice including breeding,
genotyping, blood sampling and bone marrow harvesting.
- Apply standard molecular and cellular biology methods (RT-PCR,
Western bloting, cell culture and transduction, expression
profiling) to profile the hedgehog signaling pathway.
- Use imaging mass cytometry to study the bone marrow
microenvironment and stromal cell changes in animal models of
myelofibrosis and in patient samples.
- Will assist in preparation of grant proposals, but is not
responsible for generating grant funds. Will be encouraged to apply
for fellowships as part of career development
- Will participate in publications and presentations as author or
- May train and supervise laboratory assistants and/or graduate
- Designs and performs experiments. Will keep appropriate
experimental records and documentation and analyze the results with
the Principal Investigator.
- May develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures throughout
- Operates and maintains equipment and instruments.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD, or DDS) in area directly related to
field of research specialization.
- Works independently on research projects designed by a mentor
(typically the PI) within area of specialization.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of
research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and
procedures, including detailed data collection, and analysis and
operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Merchant Lab
- Department: Home Dept - Hem - Onc
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Full-time
Cedars-Sinai is an EEO employer. Cedars-Sinai does not
unlawfully discriminate on the basis of the race, religion, color,
national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental
disability, legally protected medical condition (cancer-related or
genetic characteristics or any genetic information), marital
status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, pregnancy, age (40 or older), military and/or veteran
status or any other basis protected by federal or state law. If you
need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment
process, please contact us by email at
Applicant_Accommodation@cshs.org and let us know the nature of your
request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation
will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only
inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be
responded to from this email address.
Cedars-Sinai will consider for employment qualified applicants
with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair
Chance Initiative for Hiring.
At Cedars-Sinai, we are dedicated to the safety, health and
wellbeing of our patients and employees. This includes protecting
our patients from communicable diseases, such as influenza (flu).
For this reason, we require that all new employees receive a flu
vaccine based on the seasonal availability of flu vaccine
(typically during September through March each year) as a condition
of employment, and annually thereafter as a condition of continued
Keywords: Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles , Postdoctoral Scientist - Dr. Merchant Lab, Other , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!