Network and Cyber Security Systems Engineer (El Segundo, CA)
Company: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
Location: El Segundo
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Do you have a passion for developing cyber systems and software
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at
JHU Applied Physics Laboratory.
As a Network and Cyber Security Systems Engineer, your role will
be to work closely with Government sponsors to define cyber and
software architectures for sponsor solutions, identify test
approaches and environments to evaluate the impacts of cyber
operations on all aspects of space systems, develop system CONOPS,
work with stake holders to define system requirements, and assist
sponsors to ensure user needs are met and contractors are meeting
requirements and deliverables. Act as Technical Advisor Agent to
sponsors in architecture, program development, system test, and in
contractor program reviews, both internal and external.
In addition, you will...
- Apply systems engineering processes to define and translate
concepts, identify architecture technical requirements, identify
test needs, and determine test and evaluation approaches.
Participate in system design, development, prototyping,
demonstration and testing efforts. Work as part of a Government
team to architect space systems from a cyber operations
perspective, validate and verify design specifications, document
and analyze requirements, review and critique system verification
plans / procedures, and analyze system performance vs. requirements
and user needs.
- Interact closely with multiple stakeholders, system and
software engineers to arrive at a consensus on the design,
development and test phases of the program. Present analysis,
propose technical solutions, model and measure performance, and
- Review cyber and software architectures and designs of
applications within distributed computing networks, data networks,
network simulation, and tactical networks. Perform vulnerability
assessment of space segments, computer networks, and satellite
- Identify and coordinate technical work performed for sponsor at
APL Laurel location.
- Participate as a member of the team to evaluate program risks
and develop mitigations. Brief approach, implementation and
progress to APL management and sponsors.
You meet our minimum requirements if you have....
- A BS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering or
Computer Science related disciplines.
- 10 years of strong software systems engineering and software
development experience with emphasis on cyber security, software
security requirements and definition, and software interaction with
space systems. Demonstrated understanding of software development,
software intrusion techniques, understanding of communication
networks, and overall system vulnerability.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills with
understanding of communication networks.
- Demonstrate experience in software and network system
engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve
systems related challenges.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that
includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work
independently, work as a team player and work closely with
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills
and good organizational skills.
- The ability to travel occasionally.
- A Current Top Secret clearance
You will go above and beyond our qualifications if you have:
- A MS in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or
Computer Science related disciplines and 15 years of frontend
system engineering and software system engineering experience with
understanding of cyber security.
- Experience with current Air Force satellite ground networks,
DoDAF, DoD 5000, and model based systems engineering (MBSE) .
- Demonstrated ability in Cyber and Computer Network security and
- Experience in Cyber intrusion techniques
Note: Position will be located in Los Angeles, CA, on-site at
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL)
brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense,
security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to
solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what
makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant,
welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to
work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity
and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits,
including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled
retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's
campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn
more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Keywords: Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Los Angeles , Network and Cyber Security Systems Engineer (El Segundo, CA), Other , El Segundo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!