Process Engineer, Commercialization
Company: Beyond Meat
Location: El Segundo
Posted on: June 12, 2021
At Beyond Meat, we started with simple questions. Why do you
need an animal to create meat? Why can't you build meat directly
from plants? Thus, we make plant-based meats that allow families to
eat more, not less, of the traditional dishes they love while
feeling great about the health, sustainability, and animal welfare
benefits of plant protein. Our goal is to bring exciting change to
the plate-and Beyond.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of Process Engineering. This
process engineering position works in close cross-functional
collaboration with other process engineers and the Innovation,
Commercialization and Operations teams to bring new Beyond Meat
innovation from the feasibility stage through to production scale
capability and readiness, achieving successful and on-time
production launches. Priorities include executing process
engineering, development, and scale-up of food manufacturing
processes which successfully deliver production manufacturing lines
with demonstrated process capability that produce in specification
product for commercial launch programs and initiatives. This role
requires executing successful process engineering work for pilot
product-by-process development and scale-up through commissioning
and verification of production-intent capability and readiness of
the manufacturing processes and equipment. The ideal candidate will
be a process engineer with successful experience in applying robust
science and data capture in executing food process development work
from pilot stage through to the commissioning and qualification of
new product introductions into high volume production for
commercial launches. The individual must demonstrate
self-initiative in organizing, executing, and delivering
value-added results and process engineering deliverables that are
aligned with assigned project objectives and scope.
- Effectively communicates, coordinates, and executes within
process engineering and the cross functional product
commercialization team to assure well aligned and delivered process
engineering learnings, achievements, and ultimate production line
capabilities and results.
- Works collaboratively between Beyond Meat's Innovation,
Commercialization, and Operations teams on new and renovated
product development and introduction programs to assure that the
product and its production-intent processes meet program
objectives, manufacturability, timelines, and cost targets.
- Effectively executes assigned process engineering work in the
development of product-by-process, the scale-up and commissioning
of manufacturing processes and equipment, and the final
verification of their capabilities and readiness necessary to
achieve successful product launches and high-volume
- Organizes and conducts process engineering development, process
and equipment trials, process design, specification, commissioning,
and verification of food manufacturing processes and equipment for
production-intent capability, scale, and readiness.
- Strong communication skills and ability to create collaborative
relationships across all functions of the organization.
- Execute and complete process engineering projects and
activities required for the successful development and
commercialization of food manufacturing processes and equipment
which include: o Assessing and identifying existing (in the BYND
manufacturing network) or new food manufacturing process equipment
and technology solutions for new or renovated products being
- Ability to assess which creative ideas and suggestions will
work and project them into the future.
- Advancing product-by-process development from the feasibility
stage to final new product introduction and production launch,
doing so by working collaboratively with the various
commercialization, innovation, manufacturing, quality, and supply
chain teams throughout the process.
- Designing and running effective DOEs, sensitivity, scaling, and
process capability trials.
- Developing and achieving product-by-process viability and
design-for-manufacturability at pilot scale which is scalable and
capable of meeting project objectives.
- Identifying key product and process parameters and scaling
factors necessary for production scale-up and success. o Ensuring
quality and food safety critical control points and requirements
are built into the equipment and processes.
- Establishing engineering specifications and providing
engineering oversight for equipment and associated tooling
selection, procurement, installation, and commissioning.
- Developing cost estimates, budgets (capital and expense), and
associated plans for the process engineering portion of project
activities, equipment, and tooling requirements. o Implementing and
verifying production-scale process capability.
- Establishing the production process parameters, criteria, and
capabilities for materials, processes, and equipment for production
readiness and launch.
- Achieving reliable, scalable, and cost-effective processes and
equipment solutions in the commercialization of new and renovated
products launched into production. o Problem solving ability to
simplify complex processes/situations and figure out the steps to
get things done in practice. o Customer service orientation that
seeks to understand and anticipate the needs of others, while
practicing attentive and active listening and flexing style to meet
the requirements of changing situations.
- Develops perspectives that paint credible visions of
possibilities and ability to integrate different ideas and points
of view. o
- Drive for results that faces challenges head-on.
- Quickly senses what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal
and ability to adjust for roadblocks, measuring performance against
- Travel to facilities and suppliers in North America, and at
- Must be willing to travel 50% of the time.
- Must be an experienced food process engineer with a proven
track record of successful process development and production
scale-up for new product launch programs and initiatives.
- Successful process engineering development, scale-up, and
commissioning skills with a track record of establishing and
executing high value-add work output, trials, and production launch
- Relevant process engineering experience working with R&D,
Commercialization, and Operations is required. Demonstrated
engineering experience in an aggressive growth business environment
with a track record of overcoming difficult challenges in achieving
business and project objectives.
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process
Engineering, Biosystems Engineering or Food Process Engineering
- Must have 4 years of relevant food process engineering
experience in NPI process development, production scale-up, and
commercial launches. Experience in the food industry is
- Demonstrated process scale-up predictive modeling experience
including geometric design and similitude, energy and mass balance;
computation fluid dynamics (CFD) is a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Beyond Meat is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race,
creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry,
veteran status, marital status, gender identify, sexual
orientation, national origin, liability for military service, or
any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or
local law. If you are interested in learning the status of your
application, please note you will be contacted directly by the
appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for
further consideration. Beyond Meat reserves the right to defer or
close a vacancy at any time.
Keywords: Beyond Meat, Los Angeles , Process Engineer, Commercialization, Other , El Segundo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!