Cytotechnologist (On Call) - Santa Fe Springs
Company: Sonic Healthcare USA
Location: Santa Fe Springs
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
Hiring for PRN.
As a Cytotechnologist at WestPac Labs, you will be responsible
for analyzing tissue specimens for microscopic cellular
abnormalities, such as bacterial and viral infections, cancer,
meningitis, and other diseases. A Cytotechnologist will be a part
of a collaborative team environment and will work with little
supervision to analyze cells that come from skin, reproductive
tract, digestive tract, and other areas that shed cells.
A Cytotechnologist at WestPac Labs will:
Essential Job Functions:
- Adhere to all Federal, State, HIPAA, CLIA, CAP, and Company
policies and regulations within the Cytology Department.
- As dictated by the FDA 2010 Guidelines, CMS, State of
California, and/or other regulatory agencies, may screen up to, but
not exceed, 80 slides in a 24-hour period.
- Perform the initial screen of Non-GYN specimens, fine needle
aspirations, and cell blocks.
- Submit slides with abnormal cell structures to Pathologist for
- Examine cell samples to detect abnormalities in the color,
shape, or size of cellular components and patterns.
- Provide patient clinical data or microscopic findings to assist
Pathologist in the preparation of pathology reports.
- Document specimens by verifying patients' and specimens'
- Maintain effective laboratory operations by adhering to
standards of specimen collection, preparation, or laboratory
- Perform pre-analytical procedures such as specimen preparation
and reagent preparation, as necessary.
- Examine specimens, using microscopes, to evaluate specimen
quality and to detect abnormal hormone conditions.
- Maintain Quality Assurance / Quality Control logs, proficiency
testing, and registry/licensing.
- Adjust, maintain, or repair assigned laboratory instruments,
such as microscopes.
- Verify instrument functionality by checking and calibrating
specific laboratory instruments and document data; record on
instrument logs any repairs, replacement, and maintenance of
- Assist with overseeing Laboratory Assistants with their
- Be responsible for assisting in ordering and inventory.
- Participate in College of American Pathologists (CAP) Survey
Reviews, Assessments, and Inspections, as necessary.
- Participate in and support all Quality Assurance and Quality
Improvement endeavors for the laboratory, as necessary.
- In addition to typical work schedule, may be scheduled to work
weekends, work split shifts, overtime, holidays, and attend
mandatory company meetings, as necessary.
- Be required to perform other job duties, as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Have knowledge of human biology, including their tissues,
cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each
- Have knowledge of the information and techniques needed to
diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This
includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and
interactions, and preventative healthcare measures.
- Have experience with computer systems, including but not
limited to, medical software, spreadsheet software, and word
- Have knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and
properties of substances and of the chemical processes and
transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals
and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and
- Have knowledge of the structure and content of the English
language including the meaning and spelling of and grammar.
- Have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs,
uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Have knowledge of mathematics, including arithmetic, algebra,
geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Possess the ability to perform administrative and clerical
procedures and systems including word processing and file
- Be skilled with active listening and active learning by giving
full attention to what others are saying.
- Be skilled with time management, coordination, and monitoring
in order to assess individual performance and perform job
- Possess a service orientation which is focused on providing
outstanding patient care.
- Have the ability to engage in deductive and inductive reasoning
in order to solve complex problems.
- Have the ability to listen to and understand information and
ideas through spoken words and sentences.
- Have the ability to communicate effectively with others and
speak clearly so others understand.
Required Education and Experience:
- Have a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree from an accredited
four-year college or university with an accreditation by either
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools or the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services.
- Have a valid California Cytotechnology License.
- Participate in continuing education as dictated by governmental
agencies required for license validity.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Have an ASCP or other applicable certification.
- Have Bilingual/Multilingual skills.
- Meet applicable company insurance guidelines and release
Department of Motor Vehicles driving records if required to drive
or operate a company vehicle in the performance of their duties.
Must comply with company driving policies and procedures.
- Participate in occasional travel to interact with Division
personnel, attend meetings, or participate in educational training,
- Engage in extensive microscope work.
- Have the ability to require lifting and carrying objects up to
- Be able to reach, stoop/bend, kneel/crouch, push/pull, and
- Engage in moderate to frequent computer work.
- Engage in moderate to frequent use of telephone and fax.
- Have the ability to see, hear, talk, and respond
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
WestPac Labs, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
Keywords: Sonic Healthcare USA, Los Angeles , Cytotechnologist (On Call) - Santa Fe Springs, Other , Santa Fe Springs, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!