Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization
that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose
global environmental problems and promote solutions that are
essential to a green and peaceful future.
We now face unprecedented challenges. Our climate is in crisis
and we have one decade to act. Our democracy is being overrun by
big money. Our oceans are choking with plastic. With these
challenges, we also see new opportunities to organize the
resistance. More people than ever before have shown a willingness
to do the work needed to solve the problems we face. Using new
technologies and organizing techniques that allow people-powered
campaigns to operate at an unprecedented scale, we can rise to the
challenges we face.
We're looking for somebody who is passionate about strengthening
and diversifying the environmental movement and sees people power
as the way to win big change. LGBTQ candidates and people of color
are strongly encouraged to apply.
Why work for Greenpeace? We do creative, cutting-edge work; we
take the big risks that are needed; and we don't accept donations
from corporations or the government, which keeps us independent.
Greenpeace offers great benefits to employees, including 3 weeks
vacation for new employees, the last week of the calendar year
being a paid holiday, 401k matching, and excellent health care
The Distributed Organizing Team is looking for an assistant who
can help support and grow our distributed peer-to-peer text team -
which gives volunteers the ability to connect, have conversations
with, and mobilize hundreds of supporters around justice and
climate during a single volunteer shift. They are responsible for
ensuring that each new volunteer has the information, inspiration,
and empowerment they need to get involved in Greenpeace campaigns
through peer to peer texting. The assistant will work with our
digital tools such as Slack, Spoke and Zoom to support our
volunteer program and peer to peer texting. They will also have the
opportunity to design and lead their own project through which they
will have the opportunity to innovate, test, and learn new skills.
The best candidate for this position loves working with people, is
goal-oriented, organized, a fast learner, and is inspired by the
work Greenpeace is doing to fight for people and the planet.
This role will:
- Help manage our text-banking volunteer team by supporting in
recruiting, training, and onboarding new volunteers
- Support in writing and building textbank campaigns
- Foster a sense of community on the text team by building
relationships with volunteers through Slack and online calls
- Work alongside other text team members in data management
- Guide enthusiastic new Greenpeace volunteers to learn and join
our texting tool Spoke
- Support and train volunteer leaders
- Represent Greenpeace while answering volunteer questions,
providing information about the organization
- Our work is constantly changing and growing - there will be
additional responsibilities as needed
Minimum requirements include:
- Ability to recruit, inspire, and train activists in person,
over the phone and via online
- Previous volunteer organizing experience - especially in
textbanking and elections
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly, maintain focus, and hit goals in a
fast-paced, ever changing campaign environment
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Strong ability to identify and troubleshoot problems
- Commitment to Greenpeace's mission and non-violent
direct-action as a means of affecting change
- Excellent communication skills
- West coast hours strongly preferred
Additional requirements include, but not limited to:
- Preferred experience with mobilizing activists remotely
- Previous experience running or leading a group of
- Preferred ability to speak Spanish
Greenpeace USA values a healthy work-life balance and has
flexible, family-friendly employment policies. Our competitive
benefits package for full-time employees includes medical, dental,
and vision coverage with low contributions from staff. We have
options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and
dependent care costs. Greenpeace employees enjoy generous 6% 401K
matching. New staff members receive 3 weeks vacation, 10 sick days,
2 personal days in their first year. Additionally we are closed
Christmas eve through New Year's day.
After 1 year of service staff members receive 20 weeks of fully
paid parental leave and after five years, staff are eligible for a
12 week paid sabbatical. To encourage public transportation use and
biking, we offer subsidies for staff who choose to bike or ride
mass transit to work. Greenpeace is committed to the growth and
development of staff and fostering a creative workplace culture.
For more information, check out our benefits plan.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States
without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.
This is a 1- year contract position and the salary rate starts
at $18/hr and is commensurate with experience.