MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER-3RD SHIFT
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Position Purpose Mechanical Assembler reports to the
manufacturing supervisor and is responsible for assembling,
installing, aligning, adjusting and fitting sub-assemblies and
parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment,
in an industrial setting. Mechanical Assembler uses advanced
troubleshooting, decision-making and problem solving. Decisions
influence overall program or project success, finances and/or the
ability to meet objectives. The position works under minimal
supervision and limited contact with external suppliers or
customers. This position also provides some guidance to other
- Assemble and/or perform preset calibration/final testing.
Performs high complexity assembly and test. Products may include
but are not limited to small, medium and large products,
subassemblies and/or complete units.
- Assemble, install, align, adjust and fit subassemblies and
parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment
as per work instructions.
- Collaborate with engineering by serving as an expert technical
resource to improve processes and solve complex problems.
- Clean parts and maintain tooling and equipment per proper work
- Perform advanced troubleshooting and diagnosis of complex
assembly and/or test problems.
- Follow work instructions associated with assembly skills to
become certified for work being performed.
- Work with close tolerances and fits to meet engineering and
- Pick and/or stock parts from point of use in stock rooms and
places completed parts. (In Duarte, Stockhandlers perform these
- Perform special testing and analysis, including frequency
response analysis, power spectrum and jump and rate.
- Complete all required paperwork in an accurate and efficient
manner, including Quality Assurance and Test Record.
- Complete Warranty Data Reports on Warranty Returns.
- Identify and implement quality/process improvements with
Engineering approval and support.
- Provides training to others in the department when necessary.
(In Duarte, this is a lead function)Other Functions
- Be knowledgeable and compliant with all area housekeeping
- Complete Quality Assurance and Test Record (QAATR)
- Disassemble and handle returned units as applicable.
- Coach, guide or mentor others to help improve team and company
- Perform assembly audits (after being certified). Does not apply
- Perform highly complex flow and/or pressure testing of assembly
- Perform test stand preset calibration and final test of
- Promote teamwork within the organization.
- Train new personnel and help establish training plans and
- Work with development on the transition of new programs into
- When necessary, assist with incident investigations by working
with relevant regulatory authorities, internal/external customers,
suppliers, and other applicable regulatory authorities.
- Communicate information across functional boundaries to others
about project status, updates, specific instructions, etc. as
needed to meet customer and business objectives. (In Duarte, this
may be a supervisor duty.)The following functions may be performed.
At Woodward Santa Clarita, they are essential functions.
- Sort parts for repair units for re-use with defined checking
- Perform final assembly of moderately complex units after final
completion of testing, and record applicable data as required.
- Mount units on test stands and perform tests to meet test
requirements of product being tested.Job
- Knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of basic hand
tools (e.g., wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, scrappers, box
- Knowledge of and ability to apply inspection techniques (e.g.,
formalized inspection standards, inspection instructions, best
practices) and use inspection tools efficiently. The ability to
read and use micrometers, functional and cylindrical gauges,
comparators, indicator setups, scales.
- Knowledge and ability to use torque wrenches to adjust parts
and equipment, or install parts and equipment, following
established specifications and procedures.
- Knowledge of the Six Sigma processes and the ability to apply
Six Sigma principles to production process for continual
improvement and operational effectiveness, preferred.
- Knowledge of how quality impacts the success of the
organization including costs to customers, costs of recalls and
potential costs due to negative impacts on a company's reputation.
This includes taking the necessary steps to ensure quality on a
consistent basis and striving for improvement.
- The ability to accomplish a task with concern for all the areas
involved, including the ability to notice minute
inconsistencies/faults in parts.
- The ability to use computer and web-based systems to input,
access, modify, or output information.
- The ability to write effectively, to read and understand work
documents and to communicate information clearly to coworkers and
supervisor. The position also involves the ability to mentor and
provide guidance to members, through instruction and personal
- General knowledge of machines and equipment functionality, and
how tools could be used on such equipment/machines. This includes
the ability to learn new systems quickly, understanding how parts
relate, and how they impact system functionality. The position also
requires manual dexterity or the ability to work quickly with
hands. The position also requires the knowledge of and ability to
identify opportunities to improve current production processes and
to implement the necessary steps for the improvements with
- The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness,
enthusiasm, and optimism for work activities. This includes the
ability and willingness to take ownership for work activities, to
learn and understand company policies and procedures, to take
independent action and complete job tasks without being instructed
to complete them.
- The ability to accurately provide the information requested on
specific forms, reports, and logs. This includes generating or
transcribing appropriate words, numbers, or symbols to complete
written or computerized forms, reports, or logs.
- The ability to define, diagnose, and resolve problems. This
includes seeking, logically examining, and interpreting information
from different sources to determine a problem's cause and
developing a course of action to resolve the problem and to prevent
its reoccurrence. This also includes the ability to acquire and
apply new knowledge and skills and the ability to integrate
knowledge of current resources and constraints, priorities and
manufacturing processes to determine the benefits and costs
associated with key decisions.
- The ability to provide excellent service to internal
- The ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with
others as a team.
- The ability to perform simple arithmetic computations including
addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division correctly using
whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- The ability to process multiple types of information and/or
perform multiple tasks simultaneously and the ability to follow
work orders efficiently.
- The ability to see details (e.g., letters, numbers, codes,
color, symbols, marks, labels, signs) clearly to accomplish work
tasks in a safe and efficient manner and possessing strong hand-eye
coordination. Education or Formal Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Experience
- At least 5 years of related work experience and applicable
certifications. Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer,
and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and
energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the
performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial,
business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other
equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the
performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating
engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other
energy-related industrial equipment. The company's innovative fluid
energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control
systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more
efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original
equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Woodward, Los Angeles , MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER-3RD SHIFT, Other , Castaic, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!