The Hardware Engineering Center (HWEC), Space Systems Mission
Area is seeking an experienced engineering manager that will be
responsible to effectively lead a product oriented Space Systems
FPGA Department. The Manager will lead approximately 60 engineering
professionals located in El Segundo, CA. The departments
engineering functions for which the Department Manager provides
technical leadership for include the design and analysis of FPGAs
for highly complex, state-of-the art, RF and EO sensors as well as
communication products. This position is accountable for providing
high integrity engineering products/services and continuously
driving the department's technical skills, execution and staffing
levels in order to provide the required innovation and efficiency,
effectiveness, capability and capacity to meet the SAS business
needs. The location for this position is in El Segundo, CA.
The Department Manager Responsibilities include: technical
leadership, effective deployment of process initiatives including
CMMI level 5 operation, growth and maintenance of department
capabilities, and appropriate application of staff to programs and
projects. This role is expected to standardize FPGA bidding,
development toolsets, methodologies and execution through training
and active leadership engagement across the space systems business.
The department manager provides guidance, coaching and direction to
Section Managers on performance management, career development &
training, and resource allocation. The department manager is
responsible for leading the department in the execution of the
Center and SAS Engineering goals. The department manager will be
engaged across all SAS business areas to ensure that all aspects of
hardware development are addressed. This includes being involved in
gate reviews, proposal development, and various design reviews.
* 12 plus years experience in FPGA development including
leadership roles with an emphasis on FPGA architecture, HDL
development, and verification. Experience with industry standard
electrical engineering CAE (computer-aided-engineering) tools from
vendors such as Xilinx and Mentor Graphics.
* Experience with worst case analysis for power and timing in
* Familiarity with radiation effect mitigation and architectures
for digital systems.
* Familiarity with code coverage and verification tools. Ability
to navigate complex and sometimes incomplete requirements.
* Demonstrated experience interfacing with all levels of Program
Leadership, Supply Chain, Operations, and Production Control.
* Hands on experience managing both people and projects
* Experience in supervisory/line management, including technical
leadership, performance development and career development.
* Detailed knowledge and experience in bidding processes and
* Strong knowledge of EVMS, IMS, & IMP tools for managing
* Strong written and oral communication skills
* Strong presentation and facilitation skills
* Strong judgment and decision-making abilities
* Prior experience in defense or aerospace
* Able to effectively work multiple tasks and priorities
* Strong advocate for process improvement (e.g. CMMI and R6s)
and able to develop plans to demonstrate continuous improvement in
out of-phase defects.
* Ability to drive reduction in development costs, and reduction
in productivity variability using statistical methodologies.
* US Citizenship is required as thie position requires the
ability to obtain U.S. DoD Secret Clearance.
* Ability to obtain SSBI within one year of start date
* Experience designing embedded processors and FPGAs
* Thorough knowledge of the departments products and
* Experience with JTAG boundary-scan testing
* Experience with high speed interfaces (ex. Ethernet,
PCIexpress) bus architecture
* Experience as an IPT or CPT Lead
* Active U.S. DoD Top Secret Clearance
* Current, in scope SSBI and ability to obtain special program
Must have Bachelor's Degree from an ABET accredited university
with a major in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering,
Physics, or other related STEM field.
Master's Degree in Engineering or equivalent education and
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person
who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender orientation, gender identity, national origin,
disability, or protected Veteran status.