Lead Software Engineer - Augmented Reality
Company: University of Southern California
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: March 20, 2023
The University of Southern California Institute for Creative
Technologies (USC ICT) is actively looking for a Senior Software
Engineer to join an interdisciplinary team working to develop a
ground breaking virtual and augmented reality simulation
- Lead the planning, design, development and implementation of
software solutions andframeworks.
- Ensure designs are translated into highly composable code.
- Determine operational feasibility (e.g., evaluating analysis,
establishing problem definitions, proposing solutions).
- Identify resource requirements and monitor progress with status
- Work with researchers and developers to design, develop, test,
and document new systems within the platform
- Work with designers, artists, researchers, and other
programmers to develop, expand and refine simulation platforms
- Create examples, tutorials, and documentation in support of
researchers and developers
- Work closely with other programmers and artists to solve
design, pipeline and/or programming issuesPreferred skills and
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
with a strong background in development in C/C++ and C# and
understanding the specific performance considerations and practices
for each language.
- 8+ years' experience in software/game development
- Expertise with Unity and Unreal Engine
- Hands-on experience with large-scale computational simulation
and real-time physics.
- Experience with measuring and optimizing computational,
storage, and network performance of real-time physics
- Deep understanding of data structures, algorithms, and both
computational and storage complexity analysis.
- Experience implementing networked gameplay and dealing with
bandwidth and latency issues.
- A strong understanding of online games, including low-level
networking, back-end, and internet connection issues and
- Prior development work on distributed systems and client/server
- Knowledge of network and server security issues.
- Extensive knowledge, experience, and understanding of
Unity's/Unreal's systems related to multiplayer networking.
- Experience with Photon, Mirror or other comparable networking
- Experience developing Augmented/Virtual/Mixed Reality solutions
for Oculus, Vive, and/or MS Hololens.
- Experience with building native plugins for Unity/Unreal
- Experience building, deploying, and supporting Unity/Unreal
applications as a live service.
- Experience profiling and debugging Unity/Unreal applications
for performance optimizations.
- Effective and clear written and verbal communication skills, in
support of working with experts in other disciplines such as game
design, art, and subject matter experts.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills for translating described
requirements into code.
- Comfortable with source control solutions such as SVN or
- Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks in a manner that
enables timely completion.
- Strong knowledge of programming/scripting languages and
debugging techniques (e.g., MS Visual Studio, Python)
- Expert in software development lifecycle best practices (e.g.,
versioning w/ Git or SVN, unit testing, documentation
- Desire to collaborate in a research environmentWhy work at USC
- Work on exciting and innovative projects that have real-world
- Small project team environment allows for involvement across
entire project lifecycle
- A quality work-life balance
- Work with interesting people from all walks of life:
technologists, social scientists, military experts, creative
- Opportunities for free, top-tier university education for you
and your children
- Located in the heart of Playa Vista on the West Side of Los
- Be part of both the research and development of tomorrow
- Flexible schedule
- Great benefits, including medical, continued education, and
matched retirement, seeAbout USC ICTThe University of Southern
California's Institute for Creative Technologies (USC ICT) is where
academia, entertainment, and the military meet. Located in the
heart of Silicon Beach in Playa Vista, no other institute offers a
more diverse collaborative environment where basic and applied
research work hand-in-hand to transition cutting-edge
technologies.We are world leaders in virtual human research,
computer graphics, computer training simulations, learning
sciences, body computing, and immersive experiences for
decision-making, cultural awareness, leadership and health. ICT
employees are encouraged to develop themselves both professionally
and personally, through workshops, invited guest talks, movie
nights, social events, various sports teams, a private gym and a
personal trainer. The atmosphere at ICT is relaxed, informal and
flexible, while encouraging initiative, personal responsibility,
and a high work ethic.Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree
Addtional Education Requirements Combined experience/education as
substitute for minimum education Minimum Experience: 8 years
Minimum Skills: Eight years' experience with programming and
documentation procedures, methods and operator instructions. Proven
experience in leadership/management roles.
Keywords: University of Southern California, Los Angeles , Lead Software Engineer - Augmented Reality, IT / Software / Systems , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...