Principal Software Engineer, Platform
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Summary:As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a crucial
role in delivering high quality releases to our customers by
defining application architecture, designing, developing,
troubleshooting, maintaining, optimizing, and scaling BlackLines
cloud-based backend services and driving innovation into our
product suite.In this role, you will work with management to
identify strategic directions for system architecture.You will
research, test, benchmark and evaluate new technologies, propose
scaling solutions, collaborate with other teams to define, and
build new features, optimize existing features while writing
elegant code, coaching, and mentoring less experienced software
engineers and communicating with people at all levels.In this
position, every bit of your software design skill be drawn upon in
order to drive towards and implement best of breed features in a
rapid iterative environment. Your attention to detail, tenacity,
and creative problem-solving and thinking ahead will directly
impact the company's success, as well as the success of your peers
across the organization.If you have a passion for delivering
products that make a difference, are driven to make things better
in all that you do and are eager to work in a collaborative agile
environment where Developers are dedicated to solving customer
problems and innovating, you will be a great fit for the
- Provide technical expertise and leadership in technology
direction, road-mapping, architecture definition, design,
development, and delivery of enterprise-class solutions while
adhering to timelines, coding standards, requirements, and
- Architect, design, develop, test, troubleshoot, debug,
optimize, scale, perform the capacity planning, deploy, maintain,
and improve software applications, driving the delivery of
high-quality value and features to BlackLines customers. Develop
functional and technical specifications, and test plans.
- Develop and document functional and technical
- Work collaboratively across the company to design, communicate
and further assist with adoption of best practices in architecture
- Deliver robust architectural solutions for complex design
- Implement, refine, and enforce software development techniques
to ensure that delivered features meet software integration,
performance, security, and maintainability expectations.
- Research, test, benchmark, and evaluate new tools and
technologies, and recommend ways to implement them in product
development. Identify and create solutions that are likely to
contribute to the development of new company concepts while keeping
in mind the business strategy, short- and long-term roadmap, and
architectural considerations to support them in a highly scalable
and easy extensible manner.
- Identify and create solutions that are likely to contribute to
the development of new company concepts while keeping in mind the
business strategy, short- and long-term roadmap, and architectural
considerations to support them in a highly scalable and easy
- Actively participate in research, development, support,
management, and other company initiatives designing solutions to
optimally address current and future business requirements and
- Inspire a forward-thinking team of developers, acting as an
agent of change and evangelist for a quality-first culture within
the organization. Mentor and coach key technical staff and guide
them to solutions on complex design issues.
- Establish strong relationships with company's leadership to
ensure the use of technologies are well.
- Act as a conduit for questions and information flow when those
outside of Engineering have ideas for new technology
- Speak in terms relevant to audience, translating technical
concepts into non-technical language and vice versa. Facilitate
consensus building while striving for win/win scenarios and elicit
value-add contributions from all team members in group
- Maintain a strong sense of business value and return on
investment in planning, design, and communication.
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas
of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect
change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and
leadership to build consensus and act.
- Perform critical maintenance, deployment, and release support
activities, including occasional off-hours support.
- Other duties as assigned.Qualifications:
- Prior experience of building metadata driven application
extensibility platforms to support custom fields, custom
validations, rules, triggers and user exits.
- Strong expertise in using search engines like Elastic Search or
- Prior experience using Rules Engine like Drools or
- Experience in using SQL databases (Postgres, Sql Server or
similar) and NoSQL databases (Redis, Mongodb, Cassandra or
- Handson experience in building and managing User Exit
- Prior experience of delivering SaaS in a public cloud (GCP, AWS
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of experience with software development in general
purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C#,
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in building Web Applications,
SaaS products, and RESTful APIs.
- 2+ years experience in the Application, System, Solution or
Data Architecture including strategic IT planning and
- Strong expertise in translating business strategies into
technical, strategic and execution plans (road- maps).
- A solid computer science foundation including data structures,
algorithms, and design patterns, with a proven track record of
software design and architecture of complex systems.
- Experience in UI extensibility using configuration design and
- Experience in micro service architecture with exposure to
- Experience as a technical influencer for highly scalable
distributed system designs.
- Experience as a technical lead on significant development
- Superior analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adaptable team player with strong collaboration skills and a
focus on results and value delivery.
- Prior working experience in Scrum, or other Agile development
methodologies, is preferred.
- Passion for engineering excellence through automation, unit
testing, and process. Preferred:
- Prior experience in building Business Application Extensibility
- Prior experience in API gateway implementation, preferably
- Prior experience on Identity and Access Management protocols
and technologies: OAuth, OpenID Connect, SAML, Federation, SSO
(using Okta, Ping Federate or similar)
Equal Employment Opportunity
BlackLine believes that our diversity is one of our greatest
strengths, and we do not tolerate discrimination. It is our policy
to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals, as well as
administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to sex
(including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical
conditions), race, natural hair, religion (including religious
dress and grooming practices), color, gender (including gender
identity and gender expression), national origin (including
language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license
issued under Vehicle Code section 12801.9), ancestry, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, including HIV and AIDS,
genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner
status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any
other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance
Were proud to continue to stand by this policy and will grow our
company with attention to this instrumental belief in our hiring
and promotion practices.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will
reasonably accommodate applicants needs in accordance with
applicable law throughout all stages of the recruitment and
selection process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist
with your job search or application for employment, please contact
us by sending an email to [emailprotected]by Jobble
Keywords: Blackline, Los Angeles , Principal Software Engineer, Platform, IT / Software / Systems , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!