Senior Director - HR Compliance
Company: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc.
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P
500-- urban office REIT, is the first, longest-tenured, and
pioneering owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on
collaborative life science, agtech, and technology campuses in AAA
innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered
this niche and has since established a significant market presence
in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco Bay Area,
New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle
Park. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of
developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science,
agtech, and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants
with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance
their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent
and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For
more information on Alexandria, please visit www.are.com.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all
qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy,
childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or
registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or
military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability,
medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any
category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position will be primarily focused on managing complex
employment related compliance matters and will be instrumental in
taking the lead in various projects:
- The ability to stay abreast of employment law changes in
various states and international countries and make sound
recommendations on how to best comply to changes in the law to
company policies, practices, and documents.
- Main gatekeeper of all employment related documents and
policies. Accurately tracks and manages all documents, works with
outside counsel on annual updates to various documents, and
coordinates with internal departments to obtain annual
acknowledgments and required training is completed in a timely
- Work with the business operations team to oversee and manage
statutory compliance related programs such as Affirmative Action
Plans, EEO-1, DFEH Pay Data and VETS reporting, OFCCP and HIPAA
compliance, document retention matters, etc.
- Act as the primary point of contact to gather all of the
relevant information/material for various diligence and audit
- Responsible for managing compliance matters for the remote
workforce (including but not limited to staying compliant with
local payroll, tax, and employment laws in each location).
- International work would include researching and developing
local versions of policies, procedures, and forms, overseeing
benefit, compensation, retirement, and training programs.
Provide COVID-19 related support including but not limited to:
- Staying abreast of the changing COVID-19 requirements including
paid time off and leave of absence laws at the local, state, and
- Managing the Company's internal COVID-19 vaccination and
booster shot reporting tool. This includes working with IT on the
design, testing, implementation, auditing proof of vaccinations,
- Developing company-wide communications, policy updates, and
- Working closely with various internal departments and outside
vendors on COVID-19 related programs (e.g. contact tracing,
in-house reporting tools, etc.).
- Overseeing all COVID-19 reporting to various agencies
(local/state required reporting, worker's compensation, etc.).
- Assisting with COVID-19 safety protocols for various events,
including vendor selection, working on various internal committees
to ensure compliance, etc.
- Researching, negotiating, and managing various COVID-19
vendors, reviewing and approving invoices, etc.
- Managing the COVID-19 surveillance testing program.
Lead various projects and provide additional support to the team,
which include but is not limited to:
- Preparing budgets, reports, and special assignments for senior
- Developing a solid understanding of the Company's internal
processes and acting as a liaison and project lead to recommend
technology solutions. The ideal candidate would be able to manage
and map workstreams through research, discovery, design, test, and
- Researching and assisting with various projects to streamline
and automate various systems and processes.
- Recommending and implementing changes leading to best practice,
strong audit controls and improved efficiency in operations.
- Participating in the implementation and ownership of approved
programs that link to our internal systems.
- Being able and willing to pitch in and assist the team in other
areas of the Business Operations team, when staffing requires (e.g.
leave of absences, PTO, etc.).
- Performing other responsibilities and special assignments, as
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in related field required (e.g. Business,
Human Resources, etc.).
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP, highly desirable.
- Project Management training or certification, strongly
- 5+ years of experience in HR compliance/policy/procedure -
experience in HR administration/operations, including research,
policy development, interpretation, and implementation is
- 5+ years of experience with U.S. employment law required.
International law experience, a plus.
- 3+ years of project management experience is required. Must
display strong analytical skills and possess the ability to manage
multiple projects with varying level of complexities to ensure
deliverables are met within defined timelines. Very important to be
able to generate an idea and see it through to completion.
- Prior experience leading work streams, including gathering and
documenting business requirements, a plus.
- Operational knowledge of HCM and/or Workforce Management
systems is highly desirable.
- Must maintain up to date knowledge of applicable state and
federal employment laws.
- Must be able to research and handle extremely confidential
information in an expeditious and discreet fashion.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and tight
- Strong problem solver with a proven ability to troubleshoot
ideas independently or escalate, when necessary.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills a must. Able to
articulate complex topics in a concise way.
- Team player who must have a collaborative style and approach,
the ability to be resourceful, and an attitude to pitch in and
assist the team in areas outside of his/her responsibilities
- Highly proficient, organized, and reliable.
- Ability to pivot, work with changing priorities and drive
- Attention to detail in composing and proofreading material,
establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Solid proficiency in Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, Excel,
and PowerPoint) a must.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the
organizations HRIS (ADP) and talent management systems.
- Must be able to build relationships at all levels.
- Flexible to work overtime, as needed.
Keywords: Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., Los Angeles , Senior Director - HR Compliance, Human Resources , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!