Company: Union Rescue Mission
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Position Summary: Prepare quality meals for any of the three meals
served every day of the week (up to 1500+ meals per shift) and
special events. This position frequently works alongside program
residents and volunteers and is expected to be totally immersed in
the day-to-day operations involved with running an institutional
kitchen while practicing safe food handling standards and
procedures.CORE WORK PRINCIPLE: Colossians 3:23 is the foundation
of URM's standard for employment, Whatever you do, work at it with
all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for
people. The goal for each employee is to enrich and sustain a
humble heart attitude; to enrich and sustain a mindset of serving
others, treating them with kindness and truth; and to enrich and
sustain a zealous desire for achieving work objectives without any
ulterior motives or agendas.Essential Functions:
- Preparing, cooking and serving meals
- Food prepared must meet quality and Serve-safe standards for
taste, temperature (doneness) and visual appeal.
- Use all equipment in a safe manner according to proper
procedures - stove, title skillet, kettle, convection ovens, can
openers, knives, steam tables, ice wands, trash compactor,
- Organizing storage rooms, food racks, labeling and dating and
properly rotating food in coolers.
- Taking inventory and checking orders that arrive from the
- Following opening and closing procedures (i.e. ovens turned
off, doors locked, all food properly stored)
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and
safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance
schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome
- Provide direction to volunteers & apprentices
- Supervise any individuals that are working on your shift.
- Train others as needed on safety, food preparation &
- Displays constant behavior in Christian ministry.
- Keep close communication with Chaplains regarding program
- Develop & maintain relationships with ministry &
- Perform other duties as directed.Physical Demands: In general,
the following physical demands are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
allow differently-abled individuals to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Requires manual dexterity for regular repetitive finger motion
and frequently reaching, pulling, pushing and lifting of objects
and operating equipment
- May be exposed to handling hazardous materials such as broken
glassWork Environment: In general, the following conditions of the
work environment are representative of those that an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to allow differently-abled
individuals to perform the essential functions of the job within
- The office/kitchen is clean, orderly, properly lighted and
- Noise levels are considered low to moderate.PM20.
- Minimum of 1 year of prior institutional cooking experience
(school cafeteria, prison, shelter) preparing food for large
volumes of people preferred.
- Must be Serve-safe certified or certified with National
Registry of Food Safety Professionals (NRFSP).
- Preferred 1 year of culinary school or similar vocational
- High school diploma or equivalent.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Must be able to operate kitchen equipment properly.
- Must possess excellent organizational, time management and
customer service skills. PI127887910
Keywords: Union Rescue Mission, Los Angeles , COOK, Hospitality & Tourism , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!