Outpatient Chemo/Infusion RN - Torrance - Per Diem
Company: City of Hope
Posted on: May 18, 2018
About City of Hope City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. Position Summary: Provides professional nursing care for the City of Hope Community Practices Essential Functions:
- Greets patients and escorts them to a treatment chair or bed
- Assists physician in preparing for minor procedures
- Provides general nursing care to patients; administers and controls narcotics, prescribed medications, mixes and administers chemotherapy treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
- Observes, records and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physician and records in EMR; administers prescribed medications as directed
- Updates patient chart utilizing EMR
- Oversees infusion appointment bookings and ensures emergency situations are scheduled appropriately; maintains timely flow of patients.
- Responds to and refers incoming telephone calls.
- Instructs patient and family regarding treatment medications, side effects and gives instruction on how to alleviate systems
- Telephone prescription requests to pharmacy or utilizes electronic transmission of prescription s in EMR
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA, CLIA and COLA regulations
- Follows all OSHA guidelines to minimize exposure to blood borne pathogens
- Communicates physician referral requests to staff via EMR for necessary processing
- Ensures proper insurance authorization prior to treatment
- Performs patient education when appropriate
- Replenishes supplies, stocks and cleans infusion rooms and manages pharmaceutical supplies
- Oversees infusion room and medical assistant's preparation of infusion room, including re-stocking of treatment areas.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintain professional affiliations.
- Follows established policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining patient confidentiality
- Arranges for all biohazardous waste pick-up
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA, CLIA and COLA training programs
- Attends all regular staff meetings
- Adheres to all documentation guidelines as instructed by Practice Administrator and Clinical Director and provides accurate documentation in the patient's electronic medical record.
- Performs all other tasks and projects assigned by the Clinical Director, Practice Administrator or the physician
- Utilizes leadership skills in overseeing and assisting other members of the health care team to prioritize and resolve issues
- Demonstrates a level of professional practice that supports the delivery of appropriated care and positive working relationships. Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Position Qualifications: Minimum Education:
- Registered Nurse degree. Training in specialty specific nursing care. Minimum Experience:
- Minimum of two years of experience in a physician office or hospital.
- Minimum of one year oncology & chemo administration. Req. Certification/Licensure:
- Current and valid California Registered Nurse Licensure.
- Current CPR certification Preferred Education:
- BSN preferred Preferred Experience:
- Chemo mixing experience preferred
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) experience preferred Skills/Abilities:
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan and carry out responsibilities with supervision
- Working knowledge of managed care basics.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments. Machines/Equipment:
- Computer literate
- Employee will have frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
- Employee will adhere to all OSHA, CLIA and COLA guidelines in order to prevent and/or minimize said exposure.
- Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting. Smoke free environment.
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments Physical Demands:
- Position requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Involves standing and walking
- Employee will occasionally be asked to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Employee will work under stressful conditions and may be required to work past normal business hours.
- Employee will be exposed to bodily fluids on a regular basis. City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Keywords: City of Hope, Los Angeles, Outpatient Chemo/Infusion RN - Torrance - Per Diem, Healthcare, Torrance, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!