Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), Med/Surg Vascular Unit
Company: Valley Presbyterian
Location: Van Nuys
Posted on: September 25, 2022
Employment Status:Full Time (72-80 Hours Per Pay Period)Job
Category:NursingValley Presbyterian Hospital is a stand alone,
350-bed community hospital and one of the largest and most
prestigious full-service acute care facilities in the San Fernando
Valley. Valley Presbyterian is a certified STEMI receiving center
and Stroke Center. We are dedicated to the health and wellbeing of
the San Fernando Valley. Working here means becoming part of an
organization that not only cares for the patients inside our walls
but also takes seriously a responsibility to be a vital asset to
the community we call home. Through community benefit programs,
volunteerism, and philanthropy, the people of VPH extend our
organization's impact far beyond our campus, deeper into the lives
of those who need help.Valley Presbyterian Hospital is a place
where you can grow professionally and have a career in a supportive
environment. You voice can make a difference in the quality of care
provided to our patients. Experience the difference; the difference
you can make and the difference a supportive environment has on
your well-being. You are not alone, we are a team, a family.We
welcome those who want to join us in this vital work.JOB
SUMMARY:Under the supervision and guidance of the Registered Nurse,
the Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) is responsible for assisting
with patient care within the scope of their practice. The CNA
assists members of the heath care team to provide and maintain a
clean, safe, and attractive environment for patients and their
families. The primary work performed by the CNA includes components
of direct patient care, including assisting with nutrition,
observation and reporting, positioning, offering personal hygiene
and toileting, ambulating patients, customer service,
transportation of patients and supplies, and assisting the RNs
while following hospital policies and procedures. The CNA will also
assist the patient with activities of daily living while ensuring a
safe environment for the patient to avoid risk of harming
themselves or others. These services further the mission of Valley
Presbyterian Hospital, which is to provide high quality, cost
effective healthcare for the people in the communities we
- Computer skills preferred
- One year of acute patient care experience preferred
- Must demonstrate technical competence, communication skills and
sensitivity for the patient and family in the hospital
- Must possess the ability to effectively coordinate multiple
patient care assignments, use time management skills, problem
- High School diploma or equivalentLICENSURES/CERTIFICATION:
- Current Certified Nurse Assistant certification
- Must successfully complete and maintain BLS certification
- Must successfully complete and maintain LA City Fire Card
- Must successfully complete and maintain Management of
Assaultive Behavior (MOAB) training within the first 30 days of
employment/transferDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (These are the
essential job functions for this position. The essential functions
of this job include, but may not be limited to those listed in this
job description. Employees hired for this position must be able to
perform the essential function of this job without imposing
significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of
themselves or others):
- Adheres to hospital infection control practices including hand
- Acts as a patient advocate and service ambassador provides
non-judgmental, non-discriminatory care in a manner that is
culturally sensitive to patient/family diversity while preserving
each person's autonomy, dignity and rights.
- Adapts to the needs of the hospital/unit by demonstrating
- Assists in the transportation of patient and specimens.
- Assists other staff as necessary to ensure the provision of
quality patient care.
- Collects patient specimens and data, including vital signs,
input/output and other delegated measurements in accordance with
unit/facility policy and standards of care.
- Conducts self in a professional manner at all times- adhering
to the hospital's behavioral standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific patient populations and
cultural diversity during the provision of patient care.
- Documents objective data and routine aspects of patient care in
the computer under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Ensures that work environments and patient rooms are neat and
orderly to enhance unit and hospital image and ensures safety.
- Observes and reports any patient condition changes/variances to
the Registered Nurse (i.e. abnormal vital signs, abnormal responses
to care, change in patient behavior, functional status, patient
complaints, changes in skin integrity, falls, etc.).
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance with hospital policy,
procedures and HIPAA requirements.
- Participates in all service and quality initiatives like the
hourly rounding and turning programs.
- Performs other administrative documentation as assigned (e.g.
work logs, audits).
- Promotes patient safety at all times (e.g. clear path to the
bathroom, patient call light within reach).
- Promptly answers call lights and responds to patient
- Provides assistance in activities of daily living and completes
necessary tasks to promote patient health, including assisting
patients with basic hygiene needs, maintaining an optimum level of
mobility and assisting patients with nutritional intake, as
- Provides assistance with feeding, meals, passing water and
snacks to ensure that patient's dietary needs are met.
- Reports patient status changes and patient needs to Registered
Nurse accurately and timely.
- Performs all other duties as assigned within scope of practice
and per hospital policy.The following job accountabilities are not
unique to this particular job but are common to all jobs at VPH:
- Complies with VPH policies and procedures on customer
satisfaction and service excellence. Demonstrates professionalism
and cultural sensitivity in coordinating activities and
communicating with all customers, peers, and the community at
large. Conducts self in a professional, respectful and courteous
manner during all interactions. Works effectively and
collaboratively with others toward common goals.
- Communicates accurately, honestly, supportively and in a timely
manner with department and interdepartmental team members.
Demonstrates effective business writing and oral communication
skills, handwriting is clear and legible.
- Participates in operational aspects of the department, and
maintains/participates in performance improvement activities within
- Participates in all departmental specific training, Environment
of Care (injury/illness prevention, fire/life safety, hazardous
materials, emergency preparedness, utilities management, medical
equipment management, safety and security management), infection
control (standard precautions, TB Exposure Control Plan, Bloodborne
Pathogen Exposure Control Plan).
- Demonstrates knowledge of and follows safety practices.
Understands the importance of safety, including patient safety in
the work place. Maintains a safe environment for self and
- Actively participates in the Patient Safety Program, including
event reporting. Identifies sentinel events/near misses and
responds per defined organization processes. Participates in
education activities and process implementation. Demonstrates
advocacy for the patient/customer and appropriately acknowledges
patients, customers and visitors. The above statements reflect the
essential functions considered necessary to describe the principle
content of the job. They are not intended to be a complete
statement of all work requirements or duties that may be inherent
in the job.WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Primarily an inside building/office environment, well lighted
and ventilated, which may consist of multiple treatment and/or work
- Fast and continuous work pace with variable workload.
- Frequent contact with staff and public under a variety of
circumstances. Requires ability to communicate clearly (in English)
verbally and in writing for effective communication with other
staff members, physicians, vendors, community members, patients and
patient families, employees and applicants of all socio-economic
levels from a diverse cultural and ethnic population.
- Subject to many interruptions from multiple calls and inquiries
and potentially emotional situations involving accidents, injuries,
illness and/or death.
- Handles emergency/crisis situations in accordance with Hospital
- Answers phones or pages; may carry a beeper/pager, and/or use a
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Potential risk of exposure to hazards from chemicals (toxic and
non-toxic), flammable materials, gas or electrical or radiant
energy or equipment with/without moving parts.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Patient Care ( Continuous: 66 to 100% of time, Frequent: 33 to 65%
of time, Occasional: 0 to 32% of time)
- Continuous standing/walking and occasional/intermittent
- Continuous use of bilateral upper extremities in fine motor
activities requiring fingering, grasping, and forward reaching
between waist and shoulder level to handle/operate medical
- Frequent reaching above shoulder level and overhead.
- Frequent forward bending, twisting, squatting and kneeling;
- Occasional repositioning and transferring patients weighing up
to 200 pounds between bed, chair, and gurney.
- Occasional lifting and carrying equipment weighing up to 25
- Occasional/intermittent pushing of gurneys, wheelchairs, bed
and other medical equipment over tiled and carpeted surfaces.
- Continuous use of near vision to read medical equipment such as
monitoring devices and reading documents and computer screens;
hearing and verbal communication to interact with patients,
co-workers, and other customers.
Keywords: Valley Presbyterian, Los Angeles , Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), Med/Surg Vascular Unit, Healthcare , Van Nuys, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!