Location: El Segundo
Posted on: November 23, 2020
Overview:Responsible for performing patient-oriented procedures
under the direction and supervision of a clinician, RN, or LVN to
ensure safe and appropriate patient care; assists the clinician
with minor surgical procedures; performs a broad spectrum of
clerical and administrative duties related to the delivery of
patient care assistancePrimary Locations:
- ---Los Angeles County
- San Fernando Valley
- San Gabriel Valley
- Orange CountyEssential functions:
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that
demonstrate our company's commitment to superior customer service,
including quality, care, and concern with internal and external
- Uses, protects, and discloses our company's patients' protected
health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Anticipates the clinician's needs and carries out orders
- Checks for patients' arrival status and escorts patients from
waiting area to exam rooms. Escorts patients to ancillary services
- Obtains, records, and reports vital signs and other pertinent
patient information to RN, LVN, or clinician.
- Performs various procedures such as ear lavage, ECG,
spirometry, injections, peak flows, pulse oximetry, breathing
treatments, suture removals, wound dressings, vision/hearing tests,
urine pregnancy tests, urine dips, blood glucose testing, and blood
hemoglobin (hemocue) testing.
- Performs phlebotomy and processes lab specimens (i.e., 24 hour
urine, wound cultures obtained by clinician, biopsy specimens
obtained by clinician, etc.) and maintains lab specimen logs as
- Assists clinician with procedures (pap smears, laceration
repairs, other minor surgical procedures) and may assists with more
complex department specific specialty procedures (i.e. vasectomies,
cystoscopies, thoracentesis, sigmoidoscopies, bunionectomies, joint
aspirations, lance surgery, photo therapy, visual fields,
pachymetry testing, etc.).
- Performs medication administration within scope of practice and
documents administration of medications and procedures. Ensures
proper documentation of medication administration and documentation
- Identifies and resolves daily department issues and concerns
and escalates to supervisor when necessary.
- Participates in the development of department policies and
- 1 or 2 years of post-high school education or a degree from a
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Phlebotomy certificate.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare providersPreferred:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) preferred.Experience:Minimum:
- Up to and including one year of experience.Preferred:
- 1 year of previous Medical Assistant work experience.
- Over 1 year of experience in a specialty field.Knowledge,
Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to demonstrate basic medication administration
- Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Knowledge of infection control standards and utilization of
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to perform essential job functions using proper body
- Basic Life Support for healthcare providers.
- Computer literate (i.e., logging on to computer, usage of
keyboard and mouse, familiarity with Windows and email
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability
to read, write, speak and understand English clearly.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to concurrently perform multiple tasks.Careers with
Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one
giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Optum,
part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings
together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on
where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest
potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams
against sophisticated challenges that matter. Here you'll find
incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular
opportunity to do your life's best work.(SM)Diversity creates a
healthier atmosphere: Optum and its affiliated medical practices
are Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and
all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law. Optum and its
affiliated medical practices is a drug-free workplace. Candidates
are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: Optum, Los Angeles , Medical Assistant, Healthcare , El Segundo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!