Director, Product Development
Company: Guthy - Renker
Location: El Segundo
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Director, Product Development in El Segundo, California -
Careers at GR/GRV: El Segundo, CA Skip to Main Content Please
Enable Cookies to Continue Please enable cookies in your browser to
experience all the personalized features of this site, including
the ability to apply for a job. Welcome page Welcome page Returning
Candidate? Log back in! Director, Product Development Job Locations
US-CA-El Segundo Job Post Information* : Posted Date 4 days ago
(2/3/2021 2:04 AM) ID 2021-1055 # of Openings 1 Category Research &
Development Type Regular Full-Time General Summary Who We Are:
Guthy-Renker is a team of thought partners and creators, inventors
and innovators with more than 30 years of product development,
branding and marketing success with names you know and trust,
delivering beauty you can believe in. We're all about supercharging
start-ups and scaling brands and drive and take pride in every
stage of development from idea to inception to omni-channel roll
out. Our mission-to change how you look, feel and live-is more than
a purpose, it's our call to action. To match our rapid growth and
launch of several amazing new products, we are seeking a Director,
Product Development to join our Product/Research & Development
Department. General Summary: We are looking for a highly
experienced and goal-oriented Director, Product Development who
thrives in a fast-paced environment to lead the R&D/PD team and
overseeing a portfolio of brands in multiple beauty categories
(Skincare, Color Cosmetics, Haircare). They will be responsible for
the entire product development process from ideation to
implementation, whilst liaising with both internal multi-functional
teams and external labs and contract manufacturers to commercialize
and elevate our brands. Our ideal candidate will be an innovative
leader responsible for leading the organization in research that
will help in evaluating the potential and practicality of products
in development as well as executing the R&D Innovation Strategy
to ensure a strong pipeline of new products, relying on extensive
experience and judgment to plan and accomplish company goals.
- Practical knowledge and experience in product development
(Skincare, Color Cosmetics, Haircare), both consumer and product as
well as working knowledge of formulation chemistry and ingredient
functionality for Skincare (cosmetic and OTC), Color Cosmetics and
- As most senior representative of G-R R&D, act as liaison
with internal and external parties on matters relating to both the
custom formula development and procurement of new product
formulations (including international requirements and regulatory
- Collaborate with cross functional teams (Package Development,
Supply Chain, Brand Management, Regulatory, Purchasing and Quality
Assurance) to ensure comprehensive formula management.
- Initiate the development of technology and ingredient
formation.--Screen outside opportunities leveraging vendors and
manufacturers R&D process capabilities to recommend new product
- Co-develop (with the Brand Management and Acquisition
departments) and maintain a 3-year revolving Product Launch
- Assist in the generation of Product Development Profiles for
all new products and line extensions as assigned.
- Work with third party formulators and Contract Manufacturing
Organizations (CMO) in optimizing formula portfolio depending on
- Plan and formulate aspects of research and development
proposals such as objective or purpose of project, applications
that can be utilized from findings, costs/cost constraints of
project that may impact ability to deliver desired products, i.e.
identifying alternate--ingredients or suppliers to plan and
- Implement project tech transfer on existing R&D
formulations--(in collaboration with Global Supply Chain and
- Negotiate contracts with third party development labs to
perform research, custom formulations or other applicable needed
- Manage overall annual budget to ensure cost-effective and
efficient best practices for company.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical
instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several
abstract and concrete variables.
- Meet regularly with suppliers to review new technologies and
stay abreast of new research and formulation techniques, market
trends, raw materials, etc.
- Implement /oversee clinical efficacy trials (i.e., in-vitro,
ex-vivo testing) together with testing team.Initiate pre-pilot
R&D bulk stability testing and work with regulatory on all
formula safety related testing linked to key developmental
- Oversee library of all G-R formula assets and G-R reformulation
projects when requested by regulatory or brand.
- Keep a close finger on the pulse of the industry regarding
evolving trends and the competitive environment with a focus on
- Adhere to company's regulatory and legal requirements on all
- Bachelor's Degree--
- 8+ year's industry experience in Product Development and
- Strong knowledge of formula sustainability, claims
substantiation (OTC and Cosmetic) and trends in the beauty industry
along with technical expertise and aesthetic sense for all
Skincare, Color Cosmetics and Haircare products.
- Broad knowledge of cosmetic manufacturing with all related
expertise (i.e.) prerequisites to approve contract vendor use, cost
of goods development, filling lines, packaging, MRP systems,
inventory control, FDA Certification requirements, and worldwide
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
detail-oriented with excellent follow-through abilities, ability to
work in a fast-paced environment and efficiently work with vendors
and internal departments while prioritizing workload.
- Travel - Domestic and International travel Environmental,
Psychological and Physiological Requirements:
- The work will be performed inside a multi-story office building
with elevators and stairs.
- The person must be able to remain in a stationary position for
up to 50% of the time.
- Occasionally move about inside the office to access file
cabinets, office machinery and conference rooms.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity
machinery such as a copy machine, printer and calculator
- Frequently communicates with employees who have inquiries.
- Ability to learn technical material and apply the knowledge to
their work. Guthy-Renker provides competitive salary and benefits
along with a beautiful work environment. We offer weekly breakfast
and happy hour, as well as many fun events for employees.
Guthy-Renker is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Options
Apply for this job online Apply Share Email this job to a friend
Refer Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this
moment. Please refresh the page and try again later. Share on your
newsfeed Loading... Application FAQs Software Powered by iCIMS
Keywords: Guthy - Renker, Los Angeles , Director, Product Development, Executive , El Segundo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!