Staff/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Location: Los Angeles
Posted on: May 27, 2023
As a Staff/Principal Mechanical Engineer at Unlimit Ventures, you
will apply your breadth of knowledge and engineering leaderships to
a variety of new products as they are prepared for market launch.
You will distill complex problems into workable
electrical-mechanical systems and guide execution of diverse teams
in full-cycle product development. Dedication and determination as
a member of the Unlimit Ventures team results in the opportunity to
accelerate your career within the new ventures being launched and
experience developing many different products you will be proud of
for years to come.
Job Type: Full-Time or Contract
- Prudent optimism ---glass-half-full, with a dose of caution to
challenge our assumptions.
- Intrinsic motivation ---driven by autonomy, goal clarity and
- Commit to desired outcomes ---define desired outcomes and
achieve them vigorously.
- No egos, no jerks ---no joke.
- Serve as technical advisor on multiple concurrent development
programs and provide mentorship to other engineers.
- Define priorities, identify technical risk and guide diverse
technical teams in the execution of mechanical and mechatronic
- Develop structures, mechanism and kinematics design
architectures from component part to system level for sophisticated
- Ensure diverse engineering teams (mechanical, electrical,
software, quality, regulatory) are aligned and operating towards
clear product requirements.
- Design mechatronic systems that meet use-case, technical,
operational, manufacturing, cost and schedule requirements.
- Review and guide key component selection including sensors,
- Develop test plans and lead hardware integration, testing,
debug and validation.
- Execute CAD design of mechanical systems guided by load and
duty-cycle analysis, kinematics studies and manufacturability.
- Prepare detailed drawings of parts and assemblies using
GD&T ready for manufacturing.
- Develop mechanical system budgets including estimating labor,
material, and any other relevant costs.
- Participate in design reviews and design FMEA analysis.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering and/or other relevant
- 12+ years of applied experience successfully developing real
electrical-mechanical-controls (mechatronic) systems.
- In-depth hardware design experience with both system-level and
- Experience developing electrical-mechanical products for scale
manufacturing as demonstrated by specific examples of products
brought to market.
- Experience developing mechanical structures (weldments, sheet
metal, extrusions, CNC components, materials selection) for
- Experience developing actuated kinematic systems from concept
to product launch.
- Experience delivering designs that meet and exceed product
specifications, regulatory requirements, and international
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting sophisticated systems
including understanding the impacts of tolerance stack-up,
backlash, material properties, wear/fatigue.
- Expert knowledge of Geometric Tolerancing ASME Y14.5, DFM
(Design for Manufacturing), DFA (Design for Assembly), Mil Specs,
surface coatings & finishing standards.
- Hands-on experience with light fabrication, assembling and
maintaining complex electrical-mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated ability to foresee and identify technical risk,
and engineering mindset of addressing risks early.
- Experience managing projects, mentoring other engineers, and
interfacing with technical customers.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
to levels above, below and in-line.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated full-cycle experience (early stage ideation, to
production, to post launch development) of multiple hardware
- Experience successfully launching products in one or more of
the following industries: industrial robotics & automation,
clean/renewable technologies, health & wellness technologies.
- Recognized thought leadership and continuous improvement as
demonstrated by trade association activity, completed training
programs and/or other distinctions.
- Experience with PLCs/microcontrollers; programming,
Unlimit Ventures is a venture studio that formulates, de-risks and
launches new companies. We are a diverse team of innovators,
builders and entrepreneurs, developing advanced technologies for
practical use in robotics & automation, climate impact, and health
& wellness--- to name a few.
Keywords: Unlimitventures, Los Angeles , Staff/Principal Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Los Angeles, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...